Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

ProFire 610 / ProFire 2626 Beta Drivers for OS 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thank you everyone for your feedback. In an effort to get these drivers out to you asap, we've released an OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion public beta. These drivers have been tested for stable operation, but in general should not be used for critical operations. We greatly appreciate any feedback regarding this beta release. Please be as detailed as possible when reporting bugs. See below for Specs and download link. 

OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion public beta 

Products

M-Audio ProFire 610

M-Audio ProFire 2626

Driver Version

Operating Systems Supported

OS X 10.4.11, PPC and Intel

OS 10.5, PPC and Intel

OS 10.6, Intel, 32 and 64 bit

OS 10.7, Intel, 32 and 64 bit

OS 10.8, Intel, 32 and 64 bit

Bugs Fixed / Changes:

• Fixed 10.5 install issue. Installer now uses recommended ownership/permissions rather than explicitly setting them in the post install script. Explicitly setting the ownership/permissions was causing an install failure on 10.5.

• Added support for OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion. (changed in 2.4.0 build).

• Added support for 64-bit Pro Tools, (changed in 2.4.0 build)

Download HERE

This topic is no longer open for comments or replies.
next » « previous
  • Hi Guys, I continue to read all your responses and I personally thank you for your patience. The driver is still in our engineering team's hands. I'll report back here as soon as I hear anything.
    • view 6 more comments
    • Parallels is virtualization right ? You need a native OS for such a use, so bootcamp is the only way. I agree, epic fail M Audio...

In this case, I'm glad to prefer windows than OSX, but i hope there won't be any compatibility issues between PT on windows and PT on OSX, because i'm gonna work on PT HD stations running OSX, and using a Neve, an SSL, and an Icon, and have to be able to read sessions at home to work edit at home, and mixing on stations. If i need to be able to work directly on the Macbook pro running OSX for a better stability and compatibility, it may be without a soundcard...
    • This sucks!! Two blinks and NOTHING!!!! RRRRRRR
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• This reply was removed on 2013-03-13.
    see the change log
  • This reply was removed on 2013-03-13.
    see the change log
  • I’m confused
    Version: 2.3.3
    Operating System(s):
    Mac OS 10.6.8 64-Bit, Mac OS 10.7.3, Mac OS 10.7.4

and NOT 10.7.5

i am still on 10.7.5 and will remain on 10.7.5 , MAUDIO, RYAN JAMES, J MAILLET
    , since 10.7.5 i've had 60hz of hiss and awaiting the NEXT UPDATE MY OS

every week theres NO NEWS nothing from MAUDIO? this is was a FEATURE PRODUCT. PLease responds for this cry for help.

Hardware: ProFire 2626
    Firmware: 1.0.10
    Software: 2.3.3
    Code: 64-bit 8 Intel Core i7 930 2.83 GHz
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Hey everyone! I'm going to copy and paste from a similar thread in which a fellow user named Tory gave me a somewhat working solution. It's not perfect and I've had to reboot it on numerous occasions, but I've found it's the ONLY way to make it work.

M-AUDIO PLEASE GET A MOVE ON THE NEW DRIVERS. SERIOUSLY. IT IS OUTRAGEOUS THAT I HAVE TO GO THROUGH SO MUCH KJASDKLASJDASKLDJ TO GET MY PROFIRE TO WORK!

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Here it is:

Ok, this is solved. Thanks to all who have posted. I have asked everyone form M-Audio, Protools helpdesk, experts at Guitar Center, all to no avail. All have had good ideas but I now know what is going on. So that I may be able to help someone else, please follow what I did, I made sure that I could delineate this for not only myself but someone else. I hope this helps you Apostle Paw.

Using the latest OS (Mountain Lion 10.8.2) and connecting my Profire 2626 via 400 to 800 firewire. I am using both MIDI and the 8 analog inputs. First, there is no tested driver for 10.8.2 but the latest version will be tested at some point soon and it will probably not change. It has be ProfireSeries_OSX_2_3_3.dmg for some time. This functions but not without some tweaking.

1. Install the latest driver first. It is not about ProTools but about getting the signal path to function. I recommend using something simple ike Garage Band to check the signal.

2. Once the driver is installed, connect your 2626. Make sure that you install this AFTER you install the driver. Remember NEVER hot swap (connect or disconnect the unit while it is powered on). M-Audio made that very clear.

3. Power you 2626 on and launch the M-Audio driver (will bring up the software mixer). For use with your DAW software, set inputs 1 - 8 to analog in. For router out, set the 1 - 8 to software returns.
    ==================================
    It should be noted here that nomenclature for the DSP processor is a little confusing (actually a lot confusing to me.) For Inputs, first tab on mixer software, that is the physical inputs. The second router tab is for the output of the signal that was sent from inputs (i.e. mic or guitar input). However, this signal is routed from mic (input) to software and then routed back to 2626. It is output from software / pc back to router. So in my opinion this should be router input. However, I think it is meant pc output to router input. This confused the heck out of me.
    ===================================

4. Go to the MIDI setting (in utilities folder) and check for the profire 2626. You should have ADAT and S/PDIF. If you see 2626, it wont work. Even if you set it to such, it will default back to ADAT ro S/PDIF.

5. Now add a new connection on the the bottom left called aggregate. You can name it whatever you want but the important thing is that you ad Profire 2626 analog. Here is where you get your audio output.

6. Proceed to the Sound setting in the system directory and select this aggregate that you have created. This will be the routing through the OS.

7. If the unit is off, then you wont have this as an option, but when you power it on it will activate. Remember, you can power the unit on and off just DO NOT unplug it connected.

8. Now you can open your favorite DAW software (use Garage band first for simplicity) and you should be good to go.

=====================================
    It should be noted that when you power the unit on, it is not set to use software returns. Once it is on, launch the m-audio mixer. The light on the right of the unit will flash until you make good connection. As long as it is powered, you can completely shutdown the mixer. You are only setting the DSP on board to the setting in the hardware section. It keeps these once you shut down the M-Audion software interface. Now, open up GB or ProTools and you should have signal in and out as well. Not, sometimes you may have to reboot the OS. You will know if the light on the right if the unit blinks.

Very lengthly but I felt as I should put out what I discovered. I could not find it anywhere. (I have a graduated from UHK "University of Hard Knocks" with honors.. LOL)

--Good Luck!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I’m disappointed
    I'm really tired and IRRITATED WITH M - AUDIO. I did not expect this from M - Audio. it's been really long since mountain lion is out but still the profire 26/26 drivers not out. it's really disappointment .
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I’m disappointed
    I'm really tired and IRRITATED WITH M - AUDIO. I did not expect this from M - Audio. it's been really long since mountain lion is out but still the profire 26/26 drivers not out. it's really disappointment .
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    model: mid 2012 13" macbook pro
    software: OSX 10.8.2

the 2626 will not make a solid connection with my computer. the blue light blinks as soon as the OS boots. Occasionally it will lock solid, but audio will not work. Then literally 1 out of more than 100 tries it will randomly work perfectly. M-Audio, there are A LOT of people out there unable to use this otherwise great audio interface.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Did anyone try 10.8.3 with the Profire 2626?

I think i'll give it a try, so far it couldn't get worse (Profire 2626 locks 1 in 10 times with 10.8.2)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Jeff... I had to downgrade my OS to 10.8. Now I'm having no issues with the blinking light (knock on wood) and the Profire works great again
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2013-03-18.
    see the change log
  • This is how I solved my profire dilemma, I bought an RME babyface. So far it's an amazing interface, and I understand you can connect it to the profire to use it's inputs. Really sucks that I never got to use my profire with my new Mac Pro but I'm not going to sit around forever and wait for something that doesn't seem to be happening. I will use my Babyface to run my Profire thanks to Maudio's inability to keep up to date. Thanks Maudio for forcing me to buy another interface, best decision I've made in a while. I won't be buying/suggesting any of your products for quite some time.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I am looking at the RME Fireface UFX. My finger hovering over the "buy" button.

In my opinion, M-Audio is not doing the math on what this is costing them. If there are 100 of us frustrated folks on this thread then there must be 10X that are elsewhere, totaling 1000 who are swearing off M-Audio. If the average wholesale price of an interface like this is $400, then that's $400 X 1000 = $400,000 lost revenue (lost because our next purchase will be elsewhere).

$400k should pay for a TEAM of programmers to fix this. And maybe they could develop some new products too! It will also buy goodwill for 1000+ customers who purchase M-Audio gear throughout their lifetime. Goodwill is worth even more IMO...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m sad, frustrated
    I have been a loyal M-Audio customer until now. To be honest, the fact that Mountain lion has been out for over 6 months now, and M-audio has still yet to make it work on a whole is just ridiculous to me. I am very technical and with all other various work arounds on the internet, I cant get it to work consistently with my home studio...seriously disappointed with the Support on this....
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    still nothing...man...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I am having the SAME PROBLEM and it's causing me to LOSE WORK! I just got a new MacBook Pro with 10.8.3 and my Profire 2626 doesn't work now!!! I called M-Audio and they were of no help and seemed to not be aware of any problems around this whatsoever and then I find this thread full of frustrated people!!!
    The guy I talked to at M-Audio even suggested I go buy another product from a different company!!!
    I could return this computer and try to get one with 10.8.2 instead, but from what I am reading here it doesn't seem like it's working for folks on that either. Has anyone had any luck at all getting through? Ryan???
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Ryan,

I appreciate that you guys seem to be trying to do something with the driver but it is preventing me and (obviously) many others from being able to record with mountian lion. I truly don't believe that this issue is helping M-Audio at all as it's making people switch to different interfaces of different brands. I've been trying to keep my faith in M-Audio for the past while in hope that you guys will bring out a new driver - BUT THERE STILL ISNT ONE!! Please make one soon otherwise I may have no way to keep my self-control from buying a different interface. Pleeeeeease make a working one!

Thanks, Jacob
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Checked out that "Downgrade to 10.8.0"-thing yesterday and voila: It workes like a charm.... no more "blinking light trouble", PF2626 works perfect! :-)

I have a Macbook Pro Retina and operate the PF2626 via Apple's "Firewire-to-Thunderbolt" adapter.

Here's how I did that:

1.) Backup data (for safety!)
    2.) Download 10.8.0 image
    3.) Create bootable USB key from 10.8.0 image
    4.) Reboot and install 10.8.0

The best thing is: Actually you don't need a backup because the hard drive will not be erased! Only the system files will be replaced!! That means that all your data will be there after installation process!!! :-)

Hope that helps for some of you guys! Anyway, this should not be the the longterm solution, so PLEASE M-AUDIO: Release the driver for 10.8.3!!!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m fascinated by the corporate neglect of its customers!!!
    I'm tired of all the talk - its time for ACTION - such CLASS ACTION! Is there a civil lawyer (in the manufacturing warranty specality) among us? if this feedback board were a petition - I think we'd be well on our way to settlemrent by now! Sign me up immediately!

M-AUDIO / INMUSIC or whatever your freaking company name is you'd have two choices by now: Get your arses to work and release fully functional driver for 10.8.2 or higher in 30 days or start writing restitution checks to registered owners on day 31!

Facts are very clear in this case, leading a customer on, misleading a customer to believe you ate doing something without providing proof or regular updates in communication and lack of management over site and communication to the public consumer base as well as the already registered owners; and stating under warranty (particularly as brand new sale) that the product is under support and is compatible as sold - is false pretenses, misrepresentation of company policies, and flat out lying and stealing ... etc.

I am beginnng to wonder if your board of directors and management (and perhaps employees) have invested on your competitors as a plan to gain profit with them as they let M-AUDIO sink! sound familiar - it should - several folks have gone to jail doing this (other than our government elected officials)..

Look - my 2626 works fine as I have a 2011 iMac but, I have been in watching this thread since its
    inception and following everyone's mental, financial and phycolgical anguish all along. Withfrankly it all fall squarely on you and your company! Without a shadow of doubt in court and jury of common consumers your liable for wasting our invested assets on now faulty hardware while under warranty/support policy/agreement. Also due to the nature of the said device being that of a component reasonablely used as a means of income in a legal and reasonable line of business by a reasonable consumer with the agreed understanding upon procurement of said device that I was intended and manufactured in part or in whole for this purpose solely or in moderation and used as intended by the manufacturer; M-Audio is also liable for loss of income or assets by its consumer base by means or fraud and/or misrepresentation of warranty and/or violation of its own public facing policy.

Time to own your problem, fix it, or face the music (better hope it ain't from an M-Audio device)!!!

As a 20+ year IT Technician and Managememt - I can 1000% confidently say - if I had taken this long and so ineffectively communicated with my customer base - I would have fired my own arse!

Ryan and J you may be a great people to someone but, you and your management needs to pack your sh!t and go! Time for the 'B-Team' to give it shot (which the clock countdown on them as well, of course)!

That's it for me - I think I'm going just go buy a different interface just to join the protest.. Even though mine is working!

Get a grip M-AUDIO, and cue the fat lady!

Calling all lawyers - cleanup on isle 10.8.2+ here!

Speed
    • I support this protest. I got my interface on September 2012. I didn't pay 250 dollars to use it for 6 months and throw it away. I'm nowhere near that rich. In fact, I have an outstanding debt to pay off and am only working part time to make up for it. At the time of purchase, I had a choice between the 610 and the focusrite saffire. How I wish I had chosen that one, but I chose the 610 because it looked slick as hell and i had an image of trust from m audio.

If I won't be able to use this interface anymore, I want my money back. My interface is brand new and I have only used it at two events. I really take care of my stuff and planned on this interface to last me until it gave in which would have likely been 10 years or until i could afford something better or more intregrated.

What a waste of money and trust. I could be happy with the saffire right now. I hear it's fully functional on mountain lion.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    I AGREE AND AM IN!
    I called M-Audio and they pretty much blew me off by saying 'We don't support 10.8.3 or Thunderbolt." I asked, "What do you mean 'not support'? When will you support it?" He said that Firewire to Thunderbolt conversion wouldn't work which from my understanding is not true. The guy was vague and pretty much started guiding me toward new gear to buy.

I called again and talked to another M-Audio tech support guy on the phone and he suggested new gear to buy too but NOT M-Audio gear. He was telling me the interfaces he uses that were from a different company and thought I should go look at those. He also had no clue there was any problem whatsoever with the current drivers.

WTF?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m pissed
    PS...BTW...
    Here's an email I received back from customer support/tech support...LAME!!!:

Thank you for contacting us.

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had difficulty using the ProFire 2626 product on newer builds of Mac OS X. As you are aware, this product is not officially supported on Apple’s newest OS 10.8.1 or above. For the best performance, and for any critical use, we strongly recommend using your M-Audio product on a supported computer system. You can view each product’s system requirements on its dedicated product page at m-audio.com.

We value your feedback, and appreciate your patience. We haven’t made any driver release announcements for this product.

Please note that generally M-Audio will not announce upcoming driver releases or updates in advance of the release date. As always, you can check for the latest version at http://m-audio.com/drivers.

We appreciate being a part of your music.

Duane Morris
    Customer Success Specialist
    inMusic Brands
    dmorris@m-audio.com
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hey Speed, im in too!!! I am already in the process of purchasing a new interface from a different company, which i shouldnt have to do!! I also called tech support and asked when a driver may be available and the dude got an attitude with me. Like i was the one causing problems.
    I put together systems for people and usually include the 2626. Not anymore! M-Audio has definately lost myself, and my clients as customers. I will continue to spread the word.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• "The driver is still in our engineering team's hands"...
    engineering team???
    which engineering team???
    6 month in their hands... and still nothing... and nobody fired anyone???
    there's some explanation...

1.- nobody is actually working on it...
    2.- the engineering team is really a joke...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• somebody know if I can plug my profire 2626 to an SAFFIRE PRO24DSP FOCUSRITE????

can I record through the SAFFIRE PRO24DSP FOCUSRITE????

thanks guys.... and a lot of patience....
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2013-04-03.
    see the change log
  • Hi Everyone, I apologize that I haven’t had any news to report on the drivers to date. Please know that our Product Managers and Development team are completely aware of the feedback and frustration of this thread(s). M-Audio remains committed to updating Profire 610/2626 drivers and we hope to make driver updates available as soon as possible. Thanks again for sharing your feedback, for helping each other out and providing us your bug reports to reference. I will report back here when I receive any new updates.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Same issue.. 5 months must be helpful I hope! looking for solutions.. this is why all recording should be done on linux
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m bummed out with m-audio
    One week to go and then I'm jumping ship. I'll still keep the interface to use with other machines but for my mobile recording it will be Universal Audio or RME.

And I will never buy another product from M-Audio ever again....
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Version: 2.3.3
    Operating System(s):
    Mac OSX 10.8.3
    64-bit Intel Core i7 2.4 GHz
    16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram

Windows 7 64bit service pack 1
    16 GB DDR3 Ram

Hardware: ProFire 2626
    Firmware: 1.0.10
    Software: 2.3.3

I have had no issues using my Profire 2626 with my Macbook Pro setup this way, I haven't tried this new beta driver yet, but it is working fine and has been for a while. I use Pro Tools 10.3.3 on the Mac and Samplitude Pro X on windows 7 and have had no issues at all with the Profire.
    From what I am gathering this is an issue with the new driver in preparation for Pro Tools 11 for the 64 bit support? Well if it is I hope it gets resolved before I upgrade to 11.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    Hi everyone & Ryan James,

I've bought a new computer mac osX 10.8.3 macbook pro 13' i7 for professional audio applications and I can't downgrade my OS to make my Profire 2626 working (I just got 8 analog in and 4 analog out / adat is not working / driver 2.4.1 is not stable).

I've spend one hour in an Apple shop and we try, with a technician, to install Lion 10.7.5, but we can't install and can't run 10.7.5 on a 10.8.3 hardware ! Even "clones" made with Carbon Copy Cloner can't be launched (no entry before the apple image on start).

And others Mountain Lion installation programs (10.8.0, .1, .2) are not on the website and in the apple shops, I can't get this systems.

So no way of making Profire2626 working at this day on 10.8.3 (no stable driver, adat not working...). And changing OS is not a solution from this day...

Bye,

Gregoire D.
    France
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• New Mountain Lion drivers have been posted for the ProFire 2626 and ProFire 610:
    http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=s...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi All,
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their continuous feedback and bug reports throughout this beta process. Hopefully this driver release addresses all of your reported concerns. If you are still having issues with your Profire 2626/610 after installing this updated driver, we will be here to help. Here is the download link again, incase you missed it. http://bit.ly/ZMXZok Enjoy!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hey Ryan or anyone who tries it,

Will this work with 10.8.3? I have not upgraded from Snow Leopard because I need a working interface. Now my only option appears to be 10.8.3. If anyone else knows, I'd appreciate the info.

-mike
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2013-04-24.
    see the change log
  • Hey Ryan and "C"
    Glad to see some progress here!

Just to nip this question in the bud - up front.
    I noticed that OsX 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) is NOT on the list of supported platforms for this new 2.4.2. release.

Is this correct or an oversight?

Should it work? Or what should be expect since many have moved on since your lengthy delay in releasing these drivers!

Sincerely!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Can somebody confirm its working with 10.8.3?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hey guys! I'm running 10.8.3 on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro and can confirm the driver is stable and working. I've turned my ProFire on and off numerous times as well as my computer and it continues to work.

Hopefully I'll never see that blinking blue light again!

Cheers.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Praise be to whatever unsung team of programming heroes and their requisite blood, sweat, and (wait for it...) tears that are responsible for this new driver release.

So far, it works for me on 10.8.3 (mac mini late 2012, solid state drive). And I don't even need to fiddle about with some "aggregate" device setting in the Audio MIDI setup utility!

I'm not holding my breath just yet, but I will say I am cautiously optimistic after several solid hours of tinkering that have been completely free of the dreaded "blinking blue light of death."

Thankfully I was too lazy and too broke to order some new-fangled replacement interface. <-- That is not to be interpreted as a plug for m-audio, but I do indeed feel like sending them a thank-you card just for the relative joy I am currently enjoying.

Time will tell.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• One week too late, I returned mine for a focusrite saffire 24 and only wish it had as many ins and outs as 26/26. On the bright side it works good.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• So far so good! Great news, thanks to all the involved staff!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• gotta say, i am still disappointed in M-Audio's service. BUT at the same time, i love my profire now that it works, and i will remain an m-audio customer.... until it happens again.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m concerned
    I'm here to report a minor bug with the 2.4.2 version and the profire 610. This version displays the input/output names in an awkard way. I've captured the way they used to look in snow leopard and the way they do now in mountain lion.

In the snow leopard version, all outputs are simply named by number and that's fine and not as confusing as the mountain lion version. It seems as though they tried to label the spdif input/output port for easy recognition but they seem to be wrong. Here is the mountain lion labeling:

Stereo output 1/2 and 3/4 are named 'output analog 1/2' and 'spdif 1/2' respectively. In other words, the outputs labeled analog 1/2 belong to the stereo 1/2 in the front and the spdif 1/2 belong to the stereo 3/4 in the front of the unit. I haven't gone as far as figuring out which outputs truly belong to the spdif. They still work the way they were before (selecting spdif 1/2 will let you hear the output at stereo plug 3/4), but this labeling is inconvenient.
    From output 5 and on the names are moved over by one input as well, ending in 9 instead of 10.

Would be nice if at least it could be put back to the way it was labeled, and seems to be nothing more than simple relabeling in the code variables. It may be a minor 'cosmetic' issue or whatever, but it's really messing with my head. I like to have things correctly labeled in everything I do, and this might just drive me nuts one day! :P I know you can do the job right, guys!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

next » « previous